Villa Torlonia is one of them, the luxurious residence of the Torlonia family.
The Casina turned into his official residence once he granted the main building of the Villa, the Casino Nobile, to Benito Mussolini in the 20s, making him pay the symbolic rent of 1 lira per month.
Let's start with a bit of history as we walk around the delightful exteriors of the Casina.
During my visit it was also the stage of an exhibition by contemporary artist Antonia Ciampi, who decorated the rooms of the house with some artistic installations aimed to interpret the "mood" of each space.
Its deliberately fabricated rusticity combined the characteristics of the eighteenth century Swiss dairies with those of the lonely and romantic follies found in English gardens.
The outside of the house was faced with blocks of tufo, while the inside was painted in tempera in imitation of masonry and wooden planking.
However, as early as 1908, the "Swiss Cabin" started to undergo an increasingly radical transformation into a "Medieval Hamlet", at the behest of Alessandro's nephew, Giovanni Torlonia."
From 1916 the building began to be known as the "House of the Owls", perhaps because of the stained glass depicting two stylized owls among ivy shots, created by Dulio Cambellotti in 1914, or because of the motif of the owls is used almost obsessively in the decorations and furnishings of the house, expecially those related directly to the prince.
This difficult man, who delighted in esoteric symbols, chose the small and rustic dwelling as his residence and, to a great extent, determined its construction."
For the stained glass, he selected the most skilled glass maker of the period, Cesare Picchiarini.
The architectural complex that Fasolo created and which survives today, is made up of two buildings, the main house and the out house, connected by a small wooden gallery and underground passage.
They have almost nothing in common with the romantic alpine refuge that Japelli designed in the nineteenth century except for the L-shaped wall structure which remains part of the main construction, the pitched roof, the deliberately rustic impression, and the way in which the various component materials are left on view.
Fasolo's influence can be seen in the choice of spatial volumes that adhere to one another and interrelate, taking form through a wide variety of of material and decorative details.
The unifying element of the multiplicity of architectural solutions he uses is the grey tone of the roof surface that mantles the house, for which thin slate tiles of varying shapes were used, in contrast to the vivid colours of the tiles in glazed terracotta.
The internal areas, laid out in two levels, are all particularly highly finished, with figured decorations, stucco works, mosaics, polychrome maiolica, inlaid wood, wrought iron, wall fabris, marble sculpture and made to measure furniture, which demonstrate the particular care the prince gave to his domestic comfort.
Among so many decorative elements, the ubiquitous stained glass is nevertheless the distinctive feature of the house. It was installed between 1908 and 1930 and rappresents a unique feature in the international outlook."
Its current appearance is the result of long, patient and meticulous restoration work carried out from 1992 to 1997, which has been able, using the surviving remains and much documentary evidence, to restore the city one and most unusual and interesting building of the early years of the last century."
Since, as you read before, the most of the original furniture and decorations of the Casina were stolen or destroyed, the organizer decided to turn the walls and rooms into "exhibition halls" of the artists that worked on the Casina: sketches, projects and paintings of stained glass works of renowed and popular artists and glass makers can be found everywhere, suggesting the mood of the Casina and the prince's tastes.
The first room that we find is the Room of the Nail, so called because the stained glass decoration reminds the shape of the head of a nail.
The room was originally decorated with imperial style wood-panelling and rich drapes hanging from the ceiling, but they got destroyed; the only original part remaining is the beautiful stained glass of Cambellotti. "The little owls are made with coloured glass, partly painted with fire to improve the effect of the plumage."
Originally there were china plates decorating the walls (now substituted by simple wooden plates) portraying foreign cities of the world, and on the little shelves you could see a collection of tin soldiers.
The table is part of the exhibition of Ciampi.
"This room, positioned in the octagonal cupola, is the most richly decorated in the house.
In Japelli's original design, it was a simple country kitchen. However when the house was transformed at the beginning of the twentieth century, at the wish of Giovanni Torlonia, it became a sitting room for the prince.
The vault of the cupola, which was painted in tempera in 1909 by Giovanni Capranesi, is divided into eight panels, demarcated by stucco, which depict the 24 hours dancing among rose tendrils. They are rappresented as charming children, draped with diaphanous veils, who frolic in groups of three against a blue sky.
The backdrop is painted with comets, which, along with roses, are the heraldic symbols of the Torlonia family.
The decorative scheme is completed by a central tondo with stucco cornices, which repeat the roses motif.
At the base of each ceiling rib there is a stucco relief depicting a phoenix rising from the ashes.
The room is clearly intended as a glorification of the Torlonia family, who are symbolized by the roses and comets, and the celebration of their eternal fame, as alluded by the phoenix and the hours."
"This small room, prior to the transformation of the House into a museum, still had the original bath fittings from beginning of the century. However the beautiful maiolica work, produced by Villeroy and Bosch, which once covered the walls with depictions of nymphs, had almost completely disappeared. [...] The few pieces which remain have been made into one panel and left in place to document the bathroom's original decoration."
"The Prince's bedroom had retained almost none of the original furnishings that once made it into one of the places most intimately expressive of Giovanni Torlonia's dark and misanthropic character. It was originally full of the symbolism of owls and night birds in general, including the large tondo in the center of the ceiling, which depicts bats flying with their dark wings outstretched and has, fortunately, survived.
However other furnishings have been lost: once the room contained a bed with bedknobs in the form of owls, table lamps in the form of owls, a water jug also in the form of an owl, and the owl pattern wallpaper."
"The second bathroom of the house in smaller than the Prince's, but no less decorative. Indeed, the small room was enterely covered with fine majolica work, depicting cascades of yellow bunches of golden chain at the high up the walls and an elegant Art Deco design in the bottom strip of the walls. The main attraction of the batroom is the set of three pieces of stained glass in the loggia. The central piece shows the scene of a lake with a white swan at its center, while the two at the side continue with the theme with floral decorations of irises and reedmaces."
Interesting the donation of an original shawl by the maison Sorelle Piredda, presented during the exhibition of the Sardinian illustrator Pino Melis and based on one of his drawings.
"The room originally had a ceiling painted with swallows in flight, but no trace of it now remains. However the theme of the swallows is still present in the fine glass and the stucco motif.
In the four corners of the ceiling were four stucco reliefs depicting stages in the life-cycling of the swallow: courtship, brooding, hatching and feeding. These reliefs were partially destroyed in the fire that wrecked the house in 1991. It was only possible to reconstruct three of the nests from the surviving fragments: these three have been restored at put back in place.The three pieces of stained glass which decorate the gallery continue the swallow motif."
A must-see if you're a fan of the 20s, Liberty, Art Deco and design as I am!