Friday, 12 September 2014

Street Art in Rome: a walk around Quadraro

You probably remember my post about the Street Art that you could find in quartiere Ostiense, right? Yesterday I profitted of some business to attend around Tuscolana to take a peek to another project dedicated to the appreciation of Rome's suburbs, the M.U.Ro., which is the fitting acronym ("Muro" means "Wall" in Italian) for Museo Urbano di Roma ("Urban Museum of Rome"): the idea is that of enriching the walls of the quartiere Quadraro with contributions of street artists from all over the world, counting on the willingness of the citizen (the most of the walls belong to the houses of private citizens who "present" them to the artists) and their very own experience (some residents turn into actual "stars", is the case of the barber of the quartiere, and many shops and bars are part of the "sponsors" of the project).
Long story short, I embarked myself into this trip by underground to reach the Porta Furba - Quadraro stop, where my adventure began and MURo is located.
It's a short walk to the entrance of the quartiere, when I'm immediately greated by the joyful "Art pollinates Quadraro" by Diav├╣, street artist and promoter of the M.U.Ro. project. It's just a matter of fact that the first work that decorates the quartiere is his:

Unfortunately, even the artworks of MURo can't escape the wild needs of the "random pissers" the we meet on every bloody road of the world.
It's a risk implied by drawing on a wall, but it's quite saddening how senselessly ugly people can be when moved by envy and stupidity.
The murales following on Via Lentuli, works of the already cited Diav├╣, but even Zelda Bomba and Malo Marfan, were compromised by some idiot of sort.
Same goes for "Scacco al Re", by Camilla Falsini, that is now only partially appreciable (here's the detail of "The Knight"):
Childish insults of sort to the project can be found around the place. It's saddening and disheartening, but this is how the world goes.
In my opinion, this would be a great spot for a new murales:
I hope that it'll get covered up soon.
On the other side, it's endearing how the most of the people living there support and patrocinate the activities of MuRo.

...I continued with my walk.
Somehow I reached Via dei Posoni, with the stunning contributions of Ron English, Beau Stanton and Jim Avignon.


The public park of Giardino dei Ciliegi is another spot decorated with cute murales by various artists: the children of the quartiere themselves told the artists what they wanted to see drawn on the walls:


Then, when I tried to get back to Via dei Lentuli, I stumbled over this little spot decorated by Alessandro Sardella, where I got my first surprise:

--That's the site of MURo itself?! I peeked inside but I found it empty, suddenly someone got out to call me out, offering me a map XD
When there I got to know that there are some other murales that are not reported on the map and that Fin DAC, an Irish artist, is taking care of a new wall around Via dei Quintili.
Motivated and extra-excited, I resume my walk with the new informations.

I reach the underpass of Via dei Lentuli, where I checked the fun pieces of Gio Pistone and Mr. Thoms:



Next is the disturbing piece of Gary Baseman, dedicated to Q44, when 900 citizens of Quadraro where deported into Nazi camps.

Entering Via del Monte Grano I found my favourite piece, "Nest of Wasps" by Lucamaleonte. I enjoyed the pieces of this artist over Ostiense too, it was very nice to find him again ♥


On the wall in front of it I found these pieces too:

I didn't find them on the list of artworks of Project MURo, but I included them into this post 'cause I believe that they are indeed worth a mention, if just photographic.

Following the road, I stumbled over the majestic piece of Nicola Alessandrini:





Walking around the park Giardino del Monte del Grano, I found another anonymous piece:
It looks unfinished, as a tribute to the nearby open market!

I finally reached Via dei Quintili, where is one of the newest interventions, the piece of Veks Van Hillik:


As promised, on a side street, I found Fin DAC who was working on his piece, supported by Giorgio.
I consider myself lucky, I had the chance to take some pictures of the work in progress:



Unfortunately I could stay only for a limited time, so I couldn't see the finished work.
In case you're curious, here's a picture, retrived from the Facebook account of MURo (keep an eye on it if you want to keep yourself on the activities of the guys):
And so ends my walk and this tiny report on this quartiere full of stories and history...See you again, Free Quadraro!
In case you're willing to support or take part into the activities organized by MuRo, I suggest you to take a peek to their website, where you can buy artworks of the involved artists, and the already mentioned Facebook account, where you can keep updated on the events, meetings and street art actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment